San Diego-based biotech startup Empirico has formed a three-year drug discovery partnership with Ionis Pharmaceuticals to analyze genomic data and identify potential therapeutic targets.
In exchange for 10 drug targets developed via Empirico’s Precision Insights Platform, Ionis will make a $10 million equity investment into Empirico, with another $30 million in near-term operational and preclinical milestones and $620 million for clinical, regulatory and sales goals.
Empirico’s technology platform combines expert data curation, customized models of human genetics data, and statistical and machine-learning algorithms to identify, interrogate, and prioritize potential drug targets by studying how genetic variations impact disease and health. The drug targets are then validated experimentally.
- Biocentury: Deals with Empirico and Aro to help Ionis bring new targets, tissues to early-stage pipeline
- BioWorld Today: Empirico scores $660M deal with Ionis and lands a series A-2 fundraiser
- Endpoints News: Ionis finds new partner in a young biotech and its hopeful founder
- GenomeWeb: Empirico Inks Drug Target Discovery Alliance With Antisense Drug Firm Ionis
- Xconomy: Empirico Raises $17M, Inks 3-Year Antisense Collaboration with Ionis